2-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening (Crisco)
3 large eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed bananas
3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
½ cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together in bow of electric mixer shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla slowly.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and soda. Stir in nuts by hands.
- Pour batter into two greased 9 x 5-inch bread pans.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center of bread, comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.