6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups Granny Smith apples, chopped with skin on
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in medium skillet. Add chopped apples and cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally until tender.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl and then cut in remaining butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles large pebbles. Add whipping cream and apples and mix together with pastry until dough forms a ball.
- Put pastry on lightly floured surface and knead for 6-8 times. Flatten dough into a circle, about 8 inches with your hands.
- Mix together five spice, cinnamon and sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture over pastry circle.
- Cut dough into 12 wedges. Move slices onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes on Convection – 20-25 in regular oven.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or jam.