APPLE TART TATIN WITH APRICOT PRESERVES & CRYSTALLIZED GINGER ©copyright Marci Arthur 2002
Use any good baking apple – I prefer Granny Smith – this recipe serves 8.
For this tart, I am using PUFF PASTRY rolled out into a rectangle. Filling:
1-1/2 pounds medium-size Granny Smith apples, , halved, cored, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 5-1/2 cups) or you can use mixture of Bosc pears and apples – we will use pears and apples
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Calvados
2 tablespoons (packed) minced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons (more or less) whole milk
1/3 apricot preserves, warmed
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream with a little sugar and 1 tsp. Calvados
- Roll out crust to 1/8-inch thick in shape of a rectangle on parchment paper. Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine apples, 3 tablespoons sugar, crystallized ginger, and lemon juice in large bowl; toss gently to blend.
- Transfer parchment paper with dough to baking sheet. Cut pieces in stripes about 3/4-inches wide and using a beaten egg white brush around the edges of rectangle, place strips on top of exterior edges.
- Arrange apple slices in three long lines.
- Slightly Overlap apple slices in 3 long layers.
- Sprinkle apples with 1 tablespoon sugar, then dot apples with butter.
- Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and apples are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush with warm apricot preserves.
- Cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes. Slide long knife under apple tart to loosen. BE SURE TO BAKE ON PARCHMENT PAPER.
- Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.