2 cups all-purpose flour
1-tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut shortening into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add buttermilk, tossing with fork until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a disk. Knead lightly a few times just until smooth. (The dough can be made up to 2 hours ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Pat dough to ¾-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits.
- Place biscuits, 2 inches apart, on a parchment covered baking sheet. Gather dough trimmings, pat to ¾-inch thickness, and cut out more biscuits.
- 5. Bake biscuits until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 12 biscuits.
NOTE: To make flaky biscuits, do not over handle dough. For a faster prep time and less waste, pat dough into a square, and then cut into square shape biscuits with a floured knife. Bake as directed.
ANOTHER NOTE: To have higher biscuits, place them close together in a pan and they will rise higher.