CHERRY TOMATOES WITH OLIVES AND WALNUTS
¼ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed and halved
1 pound (about 30) mixed variety cherry tomatoes, such as Sun Gold and Sweet 100
12 green brined olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 fresh thyme springs, leaves removed
- Toast walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the skillet and tossing the walnuts frequently to ensure evening browning, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully or they will burn.
- Transfer golden walnuts to a plate to cool; set aside.
- Rub inside of a pottery bowl with the cut surface of a clove of garlic, discard garlic.
- Combine tomatoes, olives and walnuts in the bowl. Add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste; toss to combine. Set aside to macerate, about 2 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and thyme leaves to the tomato mixture; gently mix, being careful not to bruise the tomatoes.
- Using a slotted spoon, place tomato mixture in center of each serving plate, drizzling with additional vinaigrette from the bowl if desired. Serve immediately. ‘
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: Medium skillet Cutting board
Sharp knife Meat pounder Measuring spoons
Plate Pottery bowl Slotted spoon