LEEK AND MUSHROOM TART
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed per package directions
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 to 4 large leeks (about 2 pounds), white and pale green parts sliced thin and rinsed well
1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out pastry dough on floured parchment paper to fit 11-inch tart pan. Press dough into pan and trim excess. Place pan in freezer to chill until ready to use.
- Add oil to large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté leeks until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes, adding a splash of water if the pan becomes dry.
- Add mushrooms and continue sautéing until they have reduced in volume by half, about 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, thyme and 3/4 cup of cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in leek and mushroom mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan, top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: cutting boards Sharp knives Measuring cups/wet & dry
Large skillet Heat resistant spatula Rolling pin Tart pan
Mushroom brush for cleaning mushrooms